This has turned out to be one of those weeks. It had its ups and downs but they were not evenly distributed. The ups were heavily weighted early in the week when we celebrated Lucas's 12th birthday. The downs heavily weighted in the last three days with unusually difficult challenges at work and stressful relationship issues on the personal front.
It's those relationship issues that prompt this blog.
First, let me say that, while I don't date much or have a sigmificant other, I am relatively happy. I am not actively seeking to change that. I don't long for additional laundry to do, someone to cook for or nightly negotiations on what to watch on tv. I also have to say that I sleep very well right in the middle of the bed. Ok, maybe I'm just getting old and set in my ways but, remember, I am happy. Why would I change that without a guaranteed measure of increased happiness?
Good question.
Well, along comes someone, an old friend, who suggests that change. He has concluded that we were always meant to be together as I am the only woman he has met that has intelligence to match his and a body that excites him. All well and good but I can't say the same.
Yes, he is smart and has 3 degrees to prove it but that brain has been damaged by daily alcohol abuse. It is now hard to distinguish between sober and intoxicated, or maybe sober doesn't exist anymore. Unforfunately, he's not the package he once was when he was an All American college basketball player, with a bright future and a sharp mind. I love my friend, he makes me laugh. But, he also makes me sad. I tell him that we will always be friends but now, I also have to tell him that I am happier alone. That will makes us both sad.
Tough call Mama, you can do it though, and I have to say, do what makes YOU happy... That's what I have found works best. No use in making someone else happy if it causes you heartache.
ReplyDelete